Saturday, March 14, 2015

2YN - Assignment 13

Assignment 13

What type of narrator are you going to use? This is going to be closely tied to how you answered the POV question in Week Six. Is there one person in your story who should be the focus of the storytelling, even if the person is not the protagonist or antagonist?

Also, as the final part of the character creation class, list out all the characters you have created for your story and what parts they will play. As always, remember, this is not a final step. Any of these characters may change during the rest of the pre-work process. Some of them may be dropped and others added. In some cases genders and species may change. This is a list to start with, and a group of people to keep in mind as we move on into world building.

Example 1

The story of Emil and Fayette will likely be told in a close third person POV from Emil's side. This will make him an unobtrusive narrator.

The characters I've chosen so far are:
 -- protagonist

Fayette -- Antagonist
Ian -- Works with Fayette but has developed a dislike for what he sees happening in the company
Fayette's Boss -- Think of him as the devil in human form. He'll be charming, polite, charismatic . . . and won't think twice about having you killed if you interfere with business plans.
Fayette's Secretary -- I see this young woman as the latest in a long line of workers who do not last long for one reason or another and it rarely has to do with how well they work.
Senator -- A woman who is determined to bring the people of the corporation to justice.

Example 2

I may go with first person POV from Jet, though I'm not certain yet.

Jet -- Protagonist

Alien Messiah -- Antagonist

Various Alien Elite -- I have not really differentiated this group yet because I'm trying to figure out how many elite there should be in any given collection. Only one? If so, does this mean the change of Elite indicates a significant alteration in the local society?

Various Alien Servants -- For quite a while the servants are going to seem like a faceless horde to the humans. It will be some time into the book before they begin to see the differences and take note of individuals.

Surviving Crew -- this is also a varying number of people, and I need to do research on a few things before I do more than give a few names in passing, like Ivy, Janel, Sam, Derrin.

In fact, until I get a little more into the world building and outlining, I won't really know what I need for this particular book.


Answer:

Let’s see, I’m doing Third Person, which is about what I always write in. I tend to shift from character to character with each chapter so I don’t know how to really describe that.

Markus: Protagonist (first)

Ilander: Antagonist (first)

Lian: Protagonist (second)

Maria: Is a part of the world and is a central character but she’s more supporting and adding a bit of needed drama and underlying tension to the story.

Alexander: Protagonist (third)

Richard: Another central character and one who holds a bigger place closer to the middle and end of the book I believe. He and his brother (Orlender) will be two pieces that need to be used in the correct way.

Orlender: He’s the same as his twin above.

No comments:

Post a Comment